From Friday 6 to Sunday 8 September 2019, on the occasion of the 59th edition of the Antico Sposalizio Selargino, it will be possible to visit some important places of historical and cultural interest of Selargius.
Civica struttura Museale Ex Caserma dei Cavalleggieri – via Dante, 2
Guided tours by Maria Antonietta Atzeni, archaeologist of the Bios managing entity
Art exhibition of the painter Anna Beatrice Lai, the artist Annalisa Caredda and the designer Mara Damiani
The building, known as the Aragonese Prison, represents one of the oldest Selargian buildings that over the years has undergone numerous modifications for the various destinations of use. Some sources show that in the first half of the 14th century in the area a small fortress was built by the sovereign arborensian Mariano IV. In feudal age it was the seat of the Prison and the Court of the Barony of San Michele and of the Giudicare. It was then the Barracks of the Cavalrymen of Sardinia and of the Royal Carabinieri (1864) to be later identified as Caserma Beccia following their transfer (1957). On the streets of Rome and Dante the structure has bastioned walls to protect the stream that flowed in its vicinity. The entrance to the building opens onto Via Dante through a portal with a round arch and a mortar molding. Inside, a small courtyard leads to an L-shaped building consisting of seven rooms on the ground floor and four on the first floor, where the windows in the open space are still recognizable. On the ground floor a small portico has decorations with ornamental friezes that recall the typology of the Aragonese house. Recently restored, it is currently used as a museum.
The Church of San Giuliano, built in Romanesque style between the twelfth and thirteenth centuries, is probably named after the patron saint of travelers, as a pilgrim sign discovered during archaeological excavations that brought to light some medieval tombs. The church documents additions and adaptations made at different times. It consists of a hall with three naves, divided by pillars and covered with wooden vaults. The facade is embellished with a bell tower. In 1600 it was equipped with a portico resting on bare columns in imitation of the lollas of the Campidanese houses. Inside there is a wooden crucifix from the end of 1500 and a holy water font (1664) with an inscription in Catalan. The painting depicting the Virgin and Child (1785) is the work of the Florentine Michele Medici. The Sa Promissa rite is celebrated on the occasion of the Antico Sposalizio Selargino.
Chiesa di Sant’Antonio Abate – vico Maria Vergine Assunta, 7
Guided tours by Dr. Irene Bacchetti and Melania Garau
Pictorial exhibition of the artists Maria Teresa Corona, Salvatore Cogoni, Immacolata Concu, Sergio Melis and Maria Cristina Atzeni
Enclosed in a small courtyard, the church, dedicated to Sant’Antoni de su fogu, was built in neo-gothic style in 1950 on the same site as an older church dating back to the second half of the seventeenth century and dismembered, presumably, in 1786 for the renovation of the high altar. Currently the sacred building has a cuspid façade, with a beautiful pierced rose window, a bell gable and, above the double door portal, a lunette with the image of the Saint. On the sides of the single nave there are two chapels with a cross vault and a small central gem. Among the most valuable pieces an ex-voto with the image of the Madonna d’Itria and of Sant’Efisio, depicting the rescue of a man about to drown in the river of Pula (1883).
Friday 6 September 2019, from 6 pm to 9 pm
Saturday 7 September 2019, from 6 pm to 10 pm
Sunday 8 September 2019, from 10 am to 2 pm and from 4 pm to 11 pm
At the Info Point located between Via San Lussorio and Via Manin you can have all the details of the entire program of the 59th edition of the Antico Sposalizio Selargino.
Organized by Gruppo Archeologico Selargino, ACUAS and Consulta Anziani di Selargius